Clariant and partners collaborate to produce skin-care gift
4th October 2018
Clariant, a world leader in specialty chemicals, announces completion of a demonstration project – a skin-soothing serum packaged in a colorful plastic roll-on -- which is being offered as a gift for customers, guests and visitors of selected tradeshows. It made its debut at Luxepack, the premier show for creative packaging held in Monaco, October 1 - 3, 2018.
The project, which involves two Clariant business units and four industry partners, was the brainchild of Alessandro Pozzati who works as an Industrial Designer in the ColorWorks design and technology center in Milan (part of Clariant’s Masterbatches business group) and Katya Spera, Sales Manager, Personal Care in Italy for Clariant’s Industrial and Consumer Specialties business unit. The Personal Care group offers a range of ingredients used in the manufacture of cosmetics and skin-care products.
“Creating an item that we can use to promote our ColorForward trend analysis and color forecasting tool is an essential challenge every year,” says Pozzati. “This year, a collaboration between two Clariant businesses was the perfect idea. Our personal-care gift highlights not only ColorForward, but also the cosmetic ingredients that the Personal Care group markets.”
Since 2007, the experts at Clariant ColorWorks have produced this annual assessment of global consumer attitudes and social trends, relating each to a palette of colors to inspire and guide product and packaging designers.
The ColorForward 2019 trend called ‘Made in Human’ focuses on humanity’s struggles in an increasingly technological world. That was the creative spark, Spera says. “It seemed to be the perfect match with a restorative serum, called Rhythm N’Blue, that is offered by Clariant Active Ingredients to repair skin that has been damaged by stress, fatigue, pollution and the effects of blue-light exposure. One of the colors representing the Made in Human trend, is a soft, soothing turquoise blue called ‘Keep Wonder Alive.' We decided to use that color for the packaging, and we selected a roll-on so that the application of the facial product would be a little like a massage.”
Four outside partners helped to transform the idea into reality:
- Merck KGaA provided the special-effect pigment that adds brilliance and a sparkling glitter effect to the Keep Wonder Alive turquoise color
- Biogei Cosmetics, an Italian formulator of leading beauty and skin care products, produced the Rhythm N’Blue serum
- induPlast, an Italian molder of plastic packaging for personal care and perfumery, supplied the roll-on container
- D-Fusion, a graphic design firm, created the product label and a website highlighting the project.
The Rhythm N’Blue gift, soothing and beautifully packaged, exemplifies Clariant’s larger global capabilities and concern for customers. Not only is Clariant Masterbatches one of the world’s leading suppliers of color concentrates, it also works closely with plastics product and packaging developers and brand owners, helping them use color as a differentiator in a competitive marketplace. The ColorForward trend forecasts are respected for the guidance they provide to help manufacturers connect with global consumers through color.
For Clariant Active Ingredients, the Rhythm N’Blue project was an opportunity to showcase several of its cosmetic ingredients, including:
- Nipaguard EHP, a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent for cosmetics and toiletries
- Artistoflex Silk, a highly compatible thickener/texturizer that delivers a luxury sensory experience
- Active ingredients like B-Circadin, a skin resynchronizer, Fuligo, which increases skin density and firmness, and MultiEx BSASM, a skin-soothing agent.
Katya Spera says developing the Rhythm N’Blue roll-on was “an amazing experience and an honor to work together with so many passionate people on a project that really showed what Clariant and our partners can do.”